Royal Exhibition Buildin
The magnificent Royal Exhibition Building in Carlton Gardens was completed in 1880 for Melbourne’s first International Exhibition, a product of the optimism, enthusiasm and energy of the people of Melbourne in the late nineteenth century. Melbourne was a prosperous city basking in the wealth from the richest gold rush in the world… how better to publicise the achievements and opportunities in the (then) colony of Victoria than by hosting an international exhibition?
Today, the Royal Exhibition Building flourishes as one of the world's oldest exhibition pavilions, symbolising the great 19th century international exhibition movement, and on 1 July 2004 became the first building in Australia to achieve World Heritage listing.
With its meticulously restored opulent interior, expansive galleries and soaring dome, the Great Hall offers a magnificent setting for trade shows, fairs and cultural and community events.